Sunday, December 5, 2010

TWO POEMS FOR THE ROAD

TRAVELERS; LOVERS; FLOWERS….

The sun has set on us, but the moon has risen in its stead;
We do not mind which light is brighter;
But that we are guided to our destination;
In so doing, we provoke the sun to jealousy.

Wealth has eluded us, but we have love in abundance;
We do not mind our lack of silver and gold;
But that our hearts are filled with joy;
In so doing, we provoke wealth to jealousy.

Yes, the gardener just pruned us down, but there goes our pollen on the wings of that butterfly;
We do not mind if we die or live;
But that we sprout through our seeds;
In so doing we provoke life to jealousy.

© 2010 Ewoigbokhan Otaigbe Itua




THE VOICE IN THE SANDS….

Oh wretched child that I am!
What is my wrong to be put in this land?
What have i done to deserve this pain?
Does it have to do with my name?
This is the voice in the sands.
Oh wretched child that I am!
What are the rights that I hear from afar?
Are they just but a tale of the night?
What has caused this ill to my kind?
This is the voice in the sands.
Oh wretched child that I am!
After the darkness, they say comes light.
But the sun has set on my skin.
The voice in the sands has spoken.
I am the African child.

© 2009 Ewoigbokhan Otaigbe Itua

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. They should be related to the material posted. You can also leave suggestions on how you think i can improve the blog. Thank you!